7 best beaches not to be missed
Not just the old town centre and narrow streets: a holiday in Ostuni also means crystal-clear sea and endless beaches. In fact, the entire Ostuni coastline is part of a Regional Protected Area that has been declared a Site of Community Importance by the European Community, and the waters have been awarded the Blue Flag and the Five Sails by Legambiente and Touring Club for the services offered to tourists and the cleanliness of the beaches.
Here are 7 beaches not to be missed
- About 7 km from the historic centre, Torre Pozzelle beach is still wild, with cliffs falling sheer to the sea. The waters that bathe it are clean and ideal for diving enthusiasts and underwater explorers. The area is characterised by 5 small coves and an ancient Aragonese tower towering over the sea.
- Torre Guaceto is a WWF protected area where nature is particularly luxuriant and wild. It is a unique ecosystem for its biological diversity and the thick Mediterranean scrub with myrtle, mastic and juniper trees.
- Pilone is one of the most popular beaches on the Ostuni coastline, with alternating stretches of free beach and equipped lidos, each with a bar and snack bar.
- Costa Merlata beach is a wide sandy beach where the water remains shallow for many metres. This makes it a particularly child-friendly beach and it is also dog friendly.
- Red Crete is the ideal area for those who love tranquillity, with several rocky coves, each with different characteristics. One of the best known is the “spiaggia delle scalette” (beach of the little stairs), which takes its name from the steps carved into the rock that make it easier to descend into the water. The coast is also crisscrossed by a cycle path that allows you to walk or cycle along the coast. There is also a beautiful Art Nouveau villa in the area dating from the early 1900s.
- Cala Quarto di Monte is a small beach near Ostuni that is often overlooked by tourists. However, this beach is a real corner of paradise. The peculiarities of the beach are the clean, soft sand that is extremely pleasant to the touch.
- Gorgognolo is one of Ostuni’s recommended beaches for water sports enthusiasts. In particular, Gorgognolo offers snorkelling tours and excursions to admire the marvellous marine fauna that lives in the crystal-clear waters.